Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Goals

I took a class through my work yesterday on personal effectiveness. It talked a lot about goals and prioritizing tasks (as well as tips for avoiding procrastination). 

My desk at work


A few things that stood out to me that I want to implement in my personal life as well were:

1) Make a list of all the things that I do, and then select the few things (20%) that bring me the most joy and satisfaction -- then focus on those things. This was based somewhat on the 80/20 principle, that says that roughly 80% of of one thing is made up of 20% of another thing -- so for example, 80% of what I buy at the grocery store is roughly 20% of all the products available; for 80% of the mail I receive, only 20% is mail we actually want (and so on). The key thing for me was identifying those things that bring me joy, out of all the tasks I do in a day. I tend to engage in a lot of time wasters, and then I wonder why I don't have time to do the things I really want to do (such as blog). I think making this list will really help me focus on those things and maybe eliminate some others. 

2) Write down the motivation behind my goals. I have lots of things I'd like to achieve, but they are just in my mind as abstract concepts (my 101 things in 1001 days goals list can attest to that). If I don't associate a reason with the action, then chances are, I'm not going to finish it, because I don't have any motivation. I do want to cement the reason why I want to blog, because I really do believe that it will make me more likely to stick with it. 

I kind of love cupcakes.

Once I figure out what that goal is, I will share it here.

In other news, we picked a wedding venue today! It's actually the only place we looked at, ha, but we both really loved it, and it fits what we were looking for. We aren't getting married until 2014 but that's one major thing off the list! :)

Until next time, I'll leave you with a picture of the tasty nachos I made last night. (If the chips look weird, it's because they are pumpkin, and freakin' delicious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment