Wednesday, January 30, 2013

soup

After unwisely thinking about how I had not been sick in quite some time, I now have had two consecutive colds. When I have a cold, I seem to simultaneously try to shove as many nutrients as I can into my body while also craving the most unhealthy comfort foods. 


Sonic feast: Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese,
Chili Cheese Tater Tots, and Chocolate Cherry Sweetheart shake

A colleague of mine was talking about a soup she makes quite often, so I loosely adapted her recipe to help offset some of the damage above. I don't know why I never make soup -- this was so easy! I threw everything in the crockpot and now I have lunches for the week that don't come in a tin can. 

Kale & Quinoa Soup
  • Kale (as much as you want .... I used about half a bunch and made kale chips with the rest)
  • Cannelini beans (one can)
  • Diced tomatoes (one can, I used the "Spicy Red Pepper" flavor)
  • Carrots, diced
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
  • Carton of chicken broth (or you can sub veggie broth)
  • Container of mushrooms
  • Any seasonings you like (I added some garlic powder)
This soup is so adaptable. Sub spinach for the kale, chickpeas for the cannelini beans, etc. Throw it in the slow cooker on low, do whatever else you have to do that day, and come home to some healthy, hearty soup.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment